INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 24, 2012) - State Treasurer Richard Mourdock continues to mislead voters on U.S. Sen. Dick Lugar's longtime opposition to Obamacare, Lugar campaign officials charged today.
David W. Willkie, political director for Friends of Dick Lugar, demanded "Mourdock retract a misleading survey his campaign recently submitted to the Tea Party of Hamilton County."
In the questionnaire, Mourdock inaccurately claims he is "the only candidate for U.S. Senate in Indiana who will support the lawsuit that Indiana and dozens of other states have filed to strike down Obamacare."
Willkie again pointed to Lugar's longtime opposition to Obamacare:
Dick Lugar announced his early opposition to Obamacare in July of 2009, five months before its passage.
- Dick Lugar supported every Congressional attempt to delay and derail the bill.
- Dick Lugar voted more than 20 times against Obamacare.
- Dick Lugar publicly described Obamacare as "irresponsible" and "incomprehensible."
- Dick Lugar asked Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller to review Obamacare's constitutionality.
- Dick Lugar helped prompt Indiana to engage in one of the national lawsuits against Obamacare.
- Dick Lugar signed onto the U.S. Appeals Court amicus brief against Obamacare.
- Dick Lugar signed onto the U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief against Obamacare.
Lugar is an original co-sponsor of legislation to fully repeal Obamacare, according to official Senate records. Lugar also voted to repeal Obamacare and to defund it.
"Voters know we've had to set Mr. Mourdock straight before. Now, they're asking if Mourdock's mistakes are more intentional than accidental," Willkie said. "Mourdock may play fast and loose with the facts, but Hoosiers deserve to know the truth."